Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fourteen Ghosts

I am sipping from a cool, flimsy plastic water bottle that feels utterly out of place. A dank scent settles in the air space between floral patterned drapes and other pieces. It is a feature that single handedly betrays the age of this house. A polished brass chandelier is suspended, motionless. Smooth, antique bar back chairs are tucked around the perimeter of a burnished mahogany dining table. I am perched at the head, playing host to fourteen ghosts.

It is good to be away for a while, but this isn't quite what I expected. Gradually, I have learned the cadence of the house. I anticipate its creaky floorboards. Hollow clunking of pipes within the walls no longer triggers me to glance over my shoulder as I work. This is the last weekend I'll spend alone here because Laila is coming to visit next weekend, and Jack will be here to accompany me on the long drive home.


I wonder if you have to choose a single place to haunt. As a ghost, I mean. Or do you get to flutter between all of the places you loved? Is there a limit to the places a phantom might join you for dinner?


10 comments:

  1. I would hope that we could see many places... one place wouldn't be enough for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Is there a limit to the places a phantom might join you for dinner?"

    I like that thought. Good to see you writing, Lulu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a ghostly experience at the weekend, staying in my grandmothers house, I was sleeping in a tiny room I've always felt was haunted so I was naturally a bit terrified (as superstitious as I am...) and all night I was cold and felt this weird uncomfortable atmosphere, the next morning I found out it was the room my grandfather died in.
    Your writing is as lovely as always x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to be a ghost, all the people I will stalk.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you write is so decadent and tuneful to the ear - keep up with such beautiful writing!

    www.ellestolemyname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always felt a connection with spirits or ghosts
    Maybe because I think about death a lot

    Beautiful post x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that your writing has that haunting quality
    it must be truly awful to be a ghost
    that horrible purgatory
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've thought about this...how far are we tethered. but living, my imagination isn't tethered at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh good question. I feel like they are tethered. Unless they are haunting a person. Then they go where he goes.

    ReplyDelete